Final Fantasy XIII Doesn’t Look as Good on Xbox 360

Sad but true. After utterly embarrassing themselves some weeks ago with “comparison” screens that were clearly all from the PS3 build, Square Enix has finally released some actual, high-res screens from the Xbox 360 version. And, as the title of this post indicates, there’s a pretty notable difference. Click on the images below to see the high-res versions.

Final Fantasy XIII - PS3

Final Fantasy XIII - 360

That’s one of the more noticeable comparisons. According to NeoGAF, the PS3 version is running at 1280 x 720, while the 360 version is being rendered at 1024 x 576. If you’re interested, Kotaku has all 18 of the recently-released 360 screens.

Obviously, this isn’t reason enough to rush out and buy a PS3 if you don’t have one already, but if you do, the PS3 version will probably be the way to go. I’ll be interested in seeing how the two versions compare in terms of performance. (Y’know, load times and framerate and all that stuff.)

Tags:

6 Responses to “Final Fantasy XIII Doesn’t Look as Good on Xbox 360”

I hate to say it, but was anybody expecting anything else from the 360 version? The fact that the PS3 version was (at least according to SE) essentially finished before they started working on the 360 port was pretty much a recipe for disaster. That’s why I always go for lead skew (SKU?) for games if it’s a viable option.

2. Constipated_Cow says:

I heard that FFXIII is supposed to be the worst of the series.

3. Berserk says:

Good thing I went with my gut feeling on this one and preordered the PS3 version.

I’ve heard bad things about it, but surely it can’t be the worst. I mean, II was kinda terrible, I didn’t really like X either (but apparantely this has a fair few similarities to X, uber linearity for one thing)

Oh don’t worry, Berserk, Cow actually has no idea about Final Fantasy games.

I’ve actually heard quite a few criticisms about FFXIII online, and maybe it’s the fanboy in me, but none of them are real dealbreakers in my mind. I have heard a lot of comparisons to FFX, but since X was one of my favorites, I’m entirely OK with that. Some of the things are a bit disconcerting (like no towns), but as long as I go in knowing what to expect, I think I’ll still enjoy it. Also, for all the criticism being leveled at the game, I haven’t heard any complaints about the story, so I’m still hopeful that that will be good. In either case, less than a month to go. We’ll see how things shake out, but yeah, definitely getting the PS3 version for a number of reasons. I’m still hoping they’ll include the Japanese voice track on the disc, but I’m not holding my breath.

Also, keep in mind that the game’s been out for less than 3 months. I’ve learned not to trust snap reactions on pretty much any game. Granted, it seems people usually lean towards OVER-hyping a game upon it’s release (look at GTA IV or Twilight Princess), but I’ve seen it go both ways (like a bi-sexual).

The difference is actually going to be more stark than that comparison, while the PS3 game runs at a native 720P resolution, there will nevertheless be a substantial number of full 1080P cutscenes, as opposed to the 360s 570P counterparts …