Final Fantasy XIII IMpressions: The World

World IMpressions 1World IMpressions

Hmmm. So, has Final Fantasy XIII succeeded in creating a believable and immersive world? What do YOU think?

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Final Fantasy XIII IMpressions: The World”

I CANNOT connect to the world! Oliver’s experience is entirely my own!

There is NOTHING to link XIII’s gameplay and setting to the cutscenes …

Oh I wouldn’t say nothing. I feel like it’s cohesive, but the “dicking around” factor would’ve made a huge difference. It’s actually a little more frustrating later on when you almost get to, but there’s not as much to do as you’d like. You can listen in on NPC conversations which is fantastic, but that’s about it.

4. Andogo says:

The problem with beginning “in media res” is that it’s supposed to be exciting. You’re supposed to hit the ground running. And it’s not really how I’m feeling considering Vanille runs faster than Snow and everyone stops to talk about their feelings every 3 battles. That and Hope, man, kid’s such a tiny bag of butthurt it’s kind of frustrating. I get that we’re paving the way for some awesome heart-warming character growth, but my god, I didn’t know the groundwork was the size of an airport tarmac.

That and Snow actually utters the words “We’re going to save Cocoon!” So much facepalm. I wanted to punch him and punch myself. “And what the fuck do I care about Cocoon?” I thought “I’ve seen a beach, some water, some fireworks, and a really unsafe highway.”

5. Berserk says:

Yeah…I agree with some of the stuff you guys have already said. It doesn’t feel particularly immersive. I mean, sure it is a very nicely designed world, but it just feels like one long single path. Imagine the world was really like that-no houses, towns, NPCs and everything is along these stupidly linear paths…

There is a bit of a disconnect for me. I like hearing about this lore, culture and all the other stuff from the datapad, but I’d love to get some freedom and go and explore some of these areas I’ve been told about. I mean, imagine how liberating it would be to get to just go and explore Pulse or something on your own for a while, without being forced down a tunnel.

Hopefully by the end it all comes together.

I miss interactive worlds, IMO advances in gaming technology only serve to diminish ambitious game design, IMO the PS1 was a far more amazing system than the PS3 or 360.