Final Fantasy XIII IMpressions: The Battle System/Crystarium

Battle IMpressionsCrystarium IMpressions

So. Do you like Final Fantasy XIII’s battle system? Or does it feel too oversimplified? And how about the Crystarium? Does it suit your tastes as a micro-managing RPGamer?

Let us know!

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Final Fantasy XIII IMpressions: The Battle System/Crystarium”

Well I don’t like how the game artificially halts progression, and I do prefer the Sphere Grid, but I prefer the Crystarium to the License Board.

2. Andogo says:

It’s strange how the menu system requires more button pressing this time around. This is how I would have mapped the Crystarium:
    Menu > X to select Crystarium > L/R:X to select character > L1/R1 to change characters OR U/D:X to select role > L1/R1 to change roles OR Analogue:X to use CP

And I’d have “CP cost remaining” displayed beside each branch, so you can see at a glance which branch you want to pick.

The equipment menu could also use some tweaking, the “Equip” option seems unnecessary, you should be able to select the weapon or accessory directly to change it, or to press triangle to unequip, as with past FFs.

Same thing for paradigms, “Delete” and “Generate” shouldn’t be separate top-level entries.

UI quibbles aside, the paradigm system is nice, although it actually took me a good while to figure out that Ravager = Black Mage. I would have been running COM RAV RAV and COM COM MED for the Lake Bresha boss battle instead. I feel that the ATB guage needs divisions smaller than the six(maximum) bars. It seems strange that regular attacks take just as long as spells.

I’m kinda confused by Vanille magically losing the ability to do physical attacks when she isn’t my party leader. Ditto for Sazh. Is it really too much to ask for either of them to traipse over and kick a lizard in the face so I can actually built a chain bonus?

I think the problem is that I’ve yet to hit a battle where I’ve needed to use SAB, SYN, or SEN. The difficulty of all the battles so far have been dirt easy, and times where I died, it was because I ignored the low health warnings trying to stagger an enemy.

Non sequitor: maybe I’ve been spoiled by shooters, but wow, what is up with the camera controls? It’s so mushy with all kinds of unneeded inertia, it’s like I’m stumbling around drunk (and I know a thing or two about stumbling around drunk, the key is to keep your hands out and one eye closed).

The camera is waaaaay looser than in FFXII …

@SN – I DID agree with you about the halting progression, but you’ll see why. Once you have access to all the roles, there is so much choice that you can easily fuck it up and never win a battle again. If you practically max out three roles before you can select your party and then power up any role, then you have a proper starting ground. Because once it opens up, there’s no way in fuck you’re maxing it all out. It’s all really expensive.

@Andogo – Well, physical attacks and first level magic take up one bar, which makes sense. Second level takes up two bars, and so on. And COM COM MED? That’s an awful paradigm. And dude, physical attacks don’t built up the attack chain. COMs make it slow down, RAVs fill it up. Also, you’ll definitely find reasons to use all SAB, SYN, and SEN. I absolutely have. Wait ’til Gattling Gun, you will simply not be able to beat those battles without SEN. SAB and SYN have been instrumental in boss battles for me. And once Sazh learns Haste, you might even use SYN in your starting paradigm like me.

Yeah, I’ve definitely loving the COM/RAV/Misc combinations for my paradigms. I’m looking forward to the point where the Crystarium opens up, though. I think so far I agree with Ethos that it’s about the same as the sphere grid branching-wise. I mean, as much as that system opened up, it really wasn’t until much later in the game, usually after each character finished their section of the grid. Also, I think Andogo’s version of the menu controls would be a vast improvement. I mean in every other FF game, L1/R1 would just switch characters right away, there wasn’t any of this “press X again” business.

Yeah, that’s always annoying. (The L1/R1 thing)

Actually, Andogo, I’ve even taken to using Hero’s Charge (COM/SYN/MED) as my opening paradigm recently, and Even The Odds (MED/SYN/SAB) is a boss favourite of mine.

The only RPG, actually, in which I willing and eagerly use those types of abilities. The destruction of MP is a beautiful thing. And I also don’t know what you’re talking about with the ATB. I just got 5 segments for Lightning and she’s a fucking powerhouse now. I can’t imagine the game having more than 6, the balance would fall apart.

It is kind of liberating to be able to use as much magic as you like!

Absolutely. Like I’ve said, it’s more about the individual battle strategy as opposed to an overall rationing strategy. I much prefer it.

Yeah, honestly before the game came out I was questioning how they could make it really fast and strategic at the same time, but this battle system is pure strategy!