Hey! Look! Listen!

HLLfinal

It looks like we’re back on a sort of regular-ish schedule here at Riddlethos.com. Aside from the part where the new theme week didn’t start until today.

But hey, at least HLL is here! Right? Everyone loves HLL, right? It’s better than Scatter Storming, right?

RIGHT?

EH?

Before I single-handedly destroy my own ego, we shall get started.

infinity-ward-logoActivision and Infinity Ward Are No Longer Friends

Well, I suppose I should rephrase that: Vince Zampella and Jason West, to two heads of Modern Warfare 2 developer Infinity Ward, are no longer friends with Activision. And, because of that, they’re no longer employees of Infinity Ward. Even more interesting than that, however, is that Activision has filed an SEC suite against Infinity Ward, investigating “breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward.”

You’ll notice that the above paragraph is rather short on details. This is because there aren’t many details to be had at the moment. What we know for sure is that neither Zampella or West are employed at Infinity Ward any longer (according to their respective Linked In profiles) and that Activision indeed filed the SEC suit. What happened to prompt such a lawsuit, and why did IW’s two big cheeses leave? Nobody knows. Kotaku is currently doing its best to stay abroad of the situation.

ps3fatSay What…? Apparently the PS3 Fat Was Having some Issues, All Better Now

This one kinda went under the radar for me, mostly because it didn’t affect me, because I have a PS3 Slim.

But apparently, owners of the PS3 Fat fell victim to what Sony is calling an “internal clock bug” yesterday, and because of this, many trophy-enabled PS3 games did not function correctly. Or… something.

Here’s the gist of it: the internal clock on many PS3 Fats reset themselves to January 1, 2000. Supposedly, this was because the PS3 fat was programmed to recognize 2010 as a leap year.

Well, after this automatic reset occurred, whenever owners of the Fat attempted to go online, they were greeted with the dreaded “8001050F Error Message.” And, on top of that, certain trophy-enabled games couldn’t even be played offline  - players were given the same error code, along with a message that said “Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will quit.”

Anyway. As much as I’m sure that sucked for many people, it’s over now. Sony posted on the official PlayStation blog that it has been “resolved,” and if your time still isn’t right, feel free to adjust it.

Sounds so deliciously exciting. I’m sorry I missed out on it. (Kotaku)

wpid-Verizon-DROID-Eris_PhotoApple Sues HTC For Infringing on iPhone Patents

Perhaps by now, you’ve heard of HTC. They are, after all, the ones manufacturing phones utilizing the relatively new Android Operating System, such as the Droid Eris (the slightly watered-down version of Motorola’s Droid) and the upcoming Nexus One from Google.

Anyway. They’re one of the few players who are challenging Apple’s iPhone right now, so it hardly comes as a surprise that Apple is trying to sue them. Apparently HTC has infringed on over 20 of Apple’s patents, including multi-touch technology and other such nonsense. If you wanna know more of the specifics, check out this article on PC Magazine.com.

For drama’s sake, here’s a quote from Apple’s Chief Executive, Steve Jobs:

“We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it,” Steve Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, said in a statement. “We’ve decided to do something about it. We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.”

PREACH IT, MR JOBS!

Nah, actually, this kinda stinks of a dominant player in the smartphone market trying to stamp out competition before it becomes competition. And I say that with little to no evidence supporting me. It’s just my gut reaction.

space-invadersPeople are Trying to Make a Space Invaders Movie

No, really. They are. Or, Warner Bros. is, to be exact. They are currently in talks with Taito to purchase film rights for everyone’s favorite arcade classic.

This is so ridiculous that I’m not even going to exert the effort necessary to say that it’s ridiculous.

Except I already did. Fuck. Oh well. If the movie ever does happen, then it will (reportedly) be produced by Mark Gordon, Jason Blum and Guymon Casady. Gordon was involved with Saving Private Ryan. Blum produced Paranormal Activity. I don’t care what Guymon Casady did. His name is sketchy. (Kotaku)

500x_codActivision Has Plans for Call of Duty

Rather than commenting on the juicy Infinity Ward rumors, Activision has taken the sneaky way out, and outlined their grand new business model for their immensely popular Call of Duty franchise.

Activision intends to form a Call of Duty “Business Unit,” which will “bring together its various new brand initiatives with focused, dedicated resources around the world.” The focus will be on “high-margin digital online content and further the brand as the leading action entertainment franchise in new geographies, new genres and with new digital business models.”

Sounds pretty heavy. But they didn’t talk all business jargon – they confirmed that a Call of Duty game developed by Treyarch (responsible for Call of Duty 3, and 2008’s World at War) will be released in 2010. In 2011, another CoD game from an unnamed developer will be released. And, furthermore, another CoD title will be developed by the upstart Sledgehammer Games, a studio headed by Dead Space creative leads Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey. Reportedly, Sledgehammer’s take on CoD will “extend the franchise into the action-adventure genre.”

Wait… really? I mean, uh. That could be cool? Iunno. All I can think about is the fact that one of my (newly) favorite franchises is well on its way to being transformed into an Activision cash-whore.

I mean, I guess that’s what it was before. In a way. But you know what I mean. Right?

New Metroid: Other M Cinematic Trailer Looks Dumb

I’m sorry, but it does. I mean, I guess I can sorta get behind this dramatic, story-driven new direction that Nintendo is taking with the Metroid franchise. Really, I can, because it would be great to get to know Samus a little more intimately. (Not that way.)

But if that’s what they’re gonna do, then the writing had better be good. Like, really damn good. Better than it is in this ridiculous, melodramatic, gameplay-devoid trailer.

Anyway. Now that I’ve torn the trailer to pieces. Enjoy it!

And that, as they say, is that. I’m off to play more Heavy Rain. ‘Till next time!

Tags: , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Hey! Look! Listen!”

Apple sucks.

Activision sucks.

Activision is like poison to their own popular franchises …

2. 7thcircle says:

I had a long dream about Ethan last night. I think he was on my mind after I responded to his post in RPGamer’s forum. I’d like to say that the dream was full of interesting nonsense and give you all the details, but it was a standard “Glenn hanging out with someone in a dream to make up for the fact that he has no friends in life” dream that I get a lot.

Truthfully, we made out for like 1 minute. But it was really awkward.

And to say something pertinent — you can yawn at the PS3 issue only because you have a Slim. If you had a Fat and had to go 24 hours without Heavy Rain, you’d have written a full blown rant cursing Sony and praying for Satan to give all Sony execs liver failure so you could read about their slow, painful deaths while waiting for your PS3 to start working again.

I played Heavy Rain throughout yesterday and the day before on my launch model PS3 to no ill effect.

Riddlethos should be very excited for Resonance of Fate! It has NOLAN NORTH doing this: http://kotaku.com/5461393/resonance-of-fates-dancing-even-better-than-its-underpants

5. 7thcircle says:

When my brother couldn’t play Demon’s Souls the other day, he e-mailed me his rant because he didn’t have anyone else who would appreciate the rage.

6. Riddles says:

@Noob: Apple sucks for sure. Activision does as well, but I do love me some Call of Duty.

They’d best not destroy the only FPS franchise I like.

And yeah, I’m actually kinda interested in Resonance of Fate. Not entirely sure why. But Nolan North only makes the deal sweeter. Perhaps their will be some Riddlethos coverage.

@7: Yeah, well, I totally made out with him IN REAL LIFE, when I was AT HIS HOUSE.

Oh, wait… no, that was a dream I had while I was at his house.

Nevermind. Still. I got closer than you ever will.

7. Kyalie says:

Whoa what an ugly design for Samus Oo It’s like i’m looking at Shadow Hearts 3 hero (or End of eternity too)… Give her her hair back!
    And she thinks she ‘was’ young? She IS far too young!
    Why is the great female hunter turning into a blonde emo boy? T.T

8. Pogo says:

“We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours”

translation:

“ZOMG THEY BEE’Z TOOCHING THEY’RE SCREENZ IN TOO PLAYSES AT THE SAME TIMEZ. I ARE FIRSTLY DO THAT!”

Seriously… stealing your technology? These patents are out of hand to the point where no one can even make a competing product without fear of infringing on your monopoly rights to… circular menus? touch screens? Steve Jobs is probably kicking himself for somehow not managing to get a patent on a “play” button…

Imagine the wheel was patented. There would only be one model of car, and heck, it’d probably even sue Apple for “stealing” their circular device and turning it into an ipod control pad.

@Oliver: The only FPS you like? Bioshock has never even happened now … ?

@SN – Damn, you beat me to that Bioshock comment.

@Pogo – Truth to that

@Kyalie – I hate to prove Andogo right, but that Samus version is SUPER HOT! What are you talking about?! And @Riddles, I also didn’t mind the trailer except for the thumbs down. That was really dumb.

@Glenn – You didn’t quote me, so I just read your reply right now! I have to admit that Chrono Twigger is pretty good. Also, ’bout time you dreamed about me, I miss you! Also, like usual, you nailed it with Riddles re: the PS3 clock block. Right on the head. …pun intended?

Also, @Pogo – You had to throw raspberries out? I would’ve had those!!

12. Riddles says:

@Noob: Eh, I didn’t really forget about BioShock, but I don’t exactly consider it an “FPS franchise.” To me it’s more of a first-person action-adventure-ish game. Like Metroid Prime.

@Ethos: You didn’t MIND the trailer? That minute-long piece of uninformative, poorly written, melodramatic drivel? How do you “not mind” something like that?

Oh, and @Kyalie: I’m not a big fan of the new Samus model either. I actually much preferred her sunnier, more nintendo-y look.

@7: I’m not directing this at you, personally, but it has been amusing to see a lot of silenced PS3 haters rise from their graves and take the opportunity to blast the PS3 on account of this clock bug. Especially since most of ‘em are now PS3 owners.

@Riddles – Meh, you’ve called worse stuff well written. It didn’t blow me away, but I wasn’t expecting gameplay footage and it looks really cool and Samus is super hot. If anything, it was kinda Kingdom Hearts-y. I can’t believe you and Kyalie actually prefer the generic, boring, and ugly Super Smash Zero-Suit Samus.

14. Riddles says:

Samus is actually MORE generic now. She looks like every androgynous japanese protagonist ever designed.

Wasn’t expecting gameplay? Doesn’t the game come out in like four months?

And what worse stuff have I called well written?

Pssh, whose penis do you own? Obviously a very confused and INCORRECT one. I actually agree that she may look generic, but definitely not generic in the Zero Suit way. That was much worse. Sports Illustrated American Fantasy ugly bullshit.

Well you said “cinematic trailer”, so I wasn’t expecting it from that trailer specifically…

Oh I don’t remember off the bat! But I’ve definitely had writing arguments with you before. I’m not calling that trailer well-written by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn’t mind it.

- For the Apple lawsuit, I think this actually goes back a little bit of a ways now. For a while, the Android OS has supported multitouch gestures, such as pinch/zoom and the like, but the native Android apps didn’t support the gestures because of a gentleman’s agreement type thing with Apple over these patents. Apple felt that the patents weren’t strong enough to enforce, but didn’t want Google moving in on their multitouch turf, so to speak. Then, back around when the iPad was announced, when the relationship between Apple and Google seemingly went sour, Google pushed out an update to it’s apps that let them do all the multitouch stuff Apple’s did. It seems like, rather than sue Google, Apple decided to HTC, presumably because they have fewer lawyers. I’d be very interested to see how this plays out, especially given the general broadness of the patents. Personally, I hope Apple gets laughed out of court, but we’ll see what happens. Once again, all the more reason to get an Android phone over an iPhone (4 of my friends at work have gotten Androids over the past 6 months and they’re all loving them).

- Stupid leap year, always causing electronics to puke all over everybody. Oh well. I think my PS3 was affected, but I wouldn’t know. I was playing Mass Effect at the time :D. SUCH an awesome game, I really am hard pressed to find anything bad about it (aside from the obvious mining sections). They pretty much gave the original the Assassin’s Creed 2 treatment, where they kept all the awesome and removed all the suck.

- As for the new Samus model, I think I agree with everybody to some extent. Samus used to look generically American Action Movie, now she looks generically Anime. There was a shot of her that looked a little older in the trailer I thought looked OK, though. And, like Ethos, I’m waiting on seeing some gameplay footage. Impressions seem to be positive so far, though, from the people who’ve gotten a chance to play it.

Pshaw, I liked the mining. I just wish it had another level of fast. Also, they removed the dune buggy, and that didn’t suck. Riddles wouldn’t agree, but Riddles also fell down the stairs his first day here. So…

Holy crap! I was beginning to think I was the only person without a deep, throbbing, veiny hatred for the Mako! EVERYBODY else I know has a white passionate rage for it, and I don’t understand why (Granted, it wasn’t the best section of the game, but it wasn’t the worst either I think “didn’t suck” sums it up nicely). I hear there’s a free DLC pack coming at the end of the month that has the Mako’s replacement, though, so I’m looking forward to that. And yeah, the mining could have definitely benefited from another level of fast. I dare say I may have liked it if it just didn’t take so long to scan a whole planet. At some point, I need to just start treating it like I do grinding in other RPGs and just sit down and work on that for a few hours while listening to podcasts, then never have to worry about it again.

I don’t mind the Mako …

Oh THAT’S the fucking name! I even called it “the dune buggy” in my review!

21. 7thcircle says:

@Riddles – I’ve laid off the general PS3 hate. I think the console became worth owning in 2009, and if there were a decent bundle out that would save me $10 by packing in a game I want, I’d buy a Slim today.

Hey, that’s the year I thought it became worth owning too!
    We should be friends!

So does that mean that ‘09 was finally the fabled “year of the PS3″?

Does that mean ‘10 will be the “year of the linux desktop”? If so, get ready for the apocalypse, cause it’s a’comin’!

24. Andogo says:

I’d just like to say, I can’t believe any person would ever make this error.

Kotaku is currently doing its best to stay abroad of the situation.

Kotaku is currently doing its best to stay abroadBREAST of the situation.

Seriously, and @7 I’ve also made out with Ethan in a dream, wait, was that…? or did we…?, no no, right, made out. NOT AWKWARD.

When the hell are Andogo and 7th going to just do it already?

26. 7thcircle says:

I’m generally not into Asians. Andogo is the Asian, right?

27. Andogo says:

That’s my name, don’t wear it out?

Oh you’re barely Asian, Andogo! …except for the IIDX…and the not-wearing-shoes-indoors complex…

29. Andogo says: