Hey! Look! Listen!

HLLfinal

Day #2 of unemployment. So far, it’s not all bad. That is, aside from the stunning lack of money being made.

Oh well. I remain optimistic. And, on the bright side, I have all kinds of time in the world for Riddlethos now! So, let’s HLL like we’ve never HLL-ed before, eh?

EH?

I know I’m not Canadian, but I can dream. Eh.

dsiNintendo Announces DS Successor in Form of “3DS”

In a surprise move (to me, at least) Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced that his company will be releasing the “Nintendo 3DS” (working title) sometime during the “fiscal year ending March 2011.” Reportedly, the 3DS will display three-dimensional graphics without the necessity of glasses.

It’s worth noting that Nintendo is specifically calling this thing the “successor” to the massively popular DS. That’s reason to believe that it’ll be more than just a regular DSi spruced with 3D capabilities.

Various Japanese publications have leaked some specs for the device. Japanese newspaper Nikkei reports that the screens will size in at approximately 4 inches diagonally; 2 inches smaller than the DSiXL. (Not that anyone cares about the DSiXL). Fellow newspaper Asahi states that the screens will be a “parallex barrier LCD” manufactured by Sharp.

This strikes me as both an odd and predictable move from Nintendo. That may not make sense at the moment, but allow me to explain: It’s odd that they would announce plans to develop a system based entirely around a cutting-edge technology – that doesn’t seem like their style. But then I recall that, 95% of the time, 3D is still little more than a gimmick. And gimmicks are absolutely Nintendo’s style.

But, I’ll wait until I see the actual software, and how titles will utilize the 3D capabilities before I pass judgment. (VG247)

iPhone’s Share in Handheld Market Grows

…at the expense of both the DS and the PSP. Especially the PSP. According to a Flurry report, the iPhone’s share in the handheld gaming market went from 5% to 19% in the year 2009.

As a result, the DS dropped from 75% to 70%, and the PSP dropped from 20% to a mere 11%. Ouch!

iphoneus

This is a trend that I’m fairly sure will continue. I’m not ready to call it the “future of handheld gaming,” but the iPhone has its place in the handheld market. Speaking personally, the iPhone is where I do all of my portable gaming these days. I almost never play my DS or PSP, but it’s just so easy to whip out my iPod touch and, for example, play Final Fantasy I for ten minutes, five minutes, or 30 seconds. I mean, I guess I could do the same with my DS, but I’m not in the habit of bringing it with me everywhere. I think my example could be applied to a lot of iPhone gamers out there. (VG247 via Flurry)

The Witcher 2 Trailer Debuts

“Hey! It looks just like Dragon Age!”

Now, boys and girls, it’s important to recall that The Witcher actually came before Dragon Age. Years before, in fact, but it didn’t quite get the recognition it deserved, because it was a PC exclusive. Even so, it sold well over a million copies, and received rave reviews across the board. A console port was in development for a time, but much to the chagrin of myself and many RPG fans, it was canned.

I don’t play PC games, but I actually downloaded and played a demo for The Witcher. It ran like shit, but it was actually a lot of fun. The Witcher 2 will be coming to consoles, so watch this trailer and get excited.

ff13_agito_logo

Yes, Final Fantasy Agito XIII Still Exists

This is according to the game’s art director, Yusuke Naora. Speaking on Square Enix’s Japanese Twitter account, Naora didn’t say much – he essentially just confirmed that the game still exists, but it will probably be a while before we see any new information on the game, or any game in the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII was originally intended to be released on Japanese cellphones, but has been re-tooled as a PSP game.

I have no problems waiting. I’m still only twelve hours into Final Fantasy XIII. (VG247)

Holy Shit: See Heavy Rain’s Scott Shelby in Real Life

So apparently there was some 2005 movie with Clive Own called Derail. Also in this movie was Sam Douglas, the man who provided the voice and face of Heavy Rain’s private investigator, Scott Shelby. Now, in this movie, for the thirty seconds or so that he appears, he played the exact same character. Like… down to the grey trench coat and haircut. It’s fucking weird as hell. And strangely awesome at the same time. Take a look and see what I mean.

QUICKIE: Little Big Planet 2 Confirmed, With PlayStation Move Support

Huh? Oh, PlayStation Move? It’s their new-fangled motion controller. Or whatever. And according to some Dutch site called Tweakers, it’ll be used for Little Big Planet 2. I don’t really care, but I figured some of you people might. (VG247 via Tweakers)

That Tweakers link is in all Dutch, by the way.

Well that’s enough for now. Look for some God of War III stuff later today, and if you’re unlucky, some more Pokeyman-related garbage from Ethos, since everyone REALLY wants to hear about what monsters he has in his little band. Of monsters.

Ahem. Goodbye for now.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Hey! Look! Listen!”

Well I guess we can hope that Agito XIII is better than XIII proper …

Fuck you, Riddles.

And SN, you mean that you hope that you LIKE Agito better.

You don’t hope that Agito is better than XIII? Do you hope that Agito is worse than XIII? … of course you do, new and awful!

Of course I hope Agito is better than XIII.
    You were implying – and I know through previous discussion – that you don’t like XIII much at all. I was correcting you. :p

So you want Agito to be better than XIII, but I can’t because I don’t like XIII?

I was playfully ragging as you often do!

No, no, I think you were right. SE, in it’s infinite wisdom, has been listening in on SN’s comments and facebook updates and they won’t allow him to purchase any future FF titles or talk about them in any way. It’s all part of the implicit NDA we all agreed to upon opening FFXIII

- For the 3DS, I still don’t particularly care about 3D, but at least it won’t require the stupid glasses.

- At least now there’s a Move game that might actually interest some people as opposed to “flail your arms around like an idiot, the game!”

@Ethan-And I was playfully ragging back!

9. ConstipatedCow says:

You guys are teh biased against Nintendo.

@SN – Oh! Good! I was worried I had actually offended for a moment.

@Cow – I actually give Nintendo a lot more credit than most. If the Wii was my only console, of course I’d be excited for Red Steel 2. It’s very likely going to be a good game. Thing is that there are more than enough good games that have a lot more technology behind them! And Cow, you don’t even like handhelds anyway! But I forgot I had something to say about the 3DS…

@Riddles – I don’t think there’s anything surprising about Nintendo embracing cutting edge technology. The Gamecube was notably more powerful than the PS2, and very close to the XBox, and in their (obviously misguided) opinion, the DS and Wii ARE state-of-the-art. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Wii’s successor is HD/3D/Super-waggle madness. Hell, the PS3 is almost the price of the Wii, Nintendo can pull of a super-powerful console at a casual-friendly price-point. Reggie even hinted at this in a recent interview stating that Nintendo might “leapfrog” the HD generation. Which is stupid, and even a “leapfrog” would still be HD, so…
    Also, unfortunately, 3D is no longer a gimmick. I think it’s here to stay, Riddles. You and I – grouchy men that we are – will need to buckle up and eventually accept it…even if we wait until we don’t have to wear those stupid glasses.

Anyway, I’ve been so used to the idea of no new consoles for a very long time that I forgot the excitement that comes from an unveiling. I’m actually most excited for Nintendo’s press conference for the first time in a while because of the 3DS and Zelda.

-Don’t be silly.

-I don’t know how cutting edge it will be, apparently it’s a sort of three layered LCD screen made by Sharp, and is already available in some cellphones.

-By what metric do you judge 3D not to be a gimmick? If waggle controls are a gimmick then 3D is sure as hell a gimmick.

Okay, yes, but that measure it’s a gimmick.
    What I mean is that it’s not a fad, like motion controls (again, unfortunately – excepting Flower), it’s gunna stick around.

Well if Nintendo’s handheld is a smashing success (which history has taught me to expect), then yes it’ll stick around. Honestly though, I could see people getting sick of it on the PS3 (where we have the option of turning it off), current-gen visuals are already so complex that I can’t really see Sony implementing it in a natural enough fashion for it not to feel headacheingly intrusive.

Well, it depends what technology they actually end up using for the 3DS. I’ve heard three major theories. The one that sounds most likely (and the best) would have be capable of turning the option on or off.

Either way, I’m not on the 3D boat at all, yet. I’m just curious to see how it looks and what the horsepower is.

I’m completely ambivalent towards it, though it will probably be tolerable in the 3DS, but I really don’t want to use it in a console because I think it will be nothing but eye strain and headaches when combined with lots of fast moving detailed 3D graphics.

Totally agree. I just had a headache at the end of Avatar.

17. Riddles says:

It’s funny you’d say that, Ethos, because I thought Avatar was one of the few examples of 3D I’ve seen where it actually added to the experience.

Then again, pretty sure I’ve seen more 3D movies than you. So I’d be a better judge.

But yeah, I’m still a bit grouchy about it, because aside from Avatar, I’ve never gotten excited over it.

18. ConstipatedCow says:

3DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I WANNT I WANTT!

(I’m the only Nintendo fanboy on this site)

The 3D was fine in Avatar, but I’d prefer the lack of headache to the little bit of cool that it provided.
    I’m FAR more interested to see CLASH OF THE TITANS in 3D. That’s like God of War THE MOVIE.

@Cow – Exactly! Keep it up, we need the balance!

I play games for far too long for 3D to even be a viable option … my brain would melt …

Yeah, I got motion sick about 2 hours into Avatar and had to watch the last 45 minutes or so without the glasses, so everything was all fuzzy :f. Needless to say, I’m not really anxious to repeat that experience with video games. Hopefully there’s an on/off switch on the 3DS to just switch back to standard 2D gaming.

I think the 3DS is actually going to be a different kind of 3D, apparently it has a special three layered LCD screen which can create the illusion of depth … or something.