Long time no IM

IM2010
AnotherIM2010

Tags:

9 Responses to “Long time no IM”

What’s to like about not having any control over your party until 30 hours in?!!?

You didn’t have control until 30 hours in in FF9 either. I like when stories jump perspectives. I find it brings way more depth to characters that in other FFs would just tag along. That brings more richness to me than constructing my own party. I’ll be able to control stats, that’s all that matters to me for party control.

I don’t generally mind it the first time, but I find that it kills re-playability!

I could be misremembering, but didn’t FFIV go the whole game without letting you pick your party? Maybe I’m just smoking something, but I seem to remember having an entirely plot-dictated party the whole way through. Am I crazy?

FF has traditionally always been quite bad in that respect, but I thought we were past it with FFX and FFXII, which only messed with your party when absolutely necessary.

@SN – Yeah, I can see that. If I hated any section of FF9 when they forced you to play as someone, I probably wouldn’t replay it nearly as often as I do. So it’s a bigger risk, I guess.

Yeah, it’s sort of why I didn’t enjoy my FFVII play-through as much recently than when I played it years ago, part of the problem is also because I’ve played many RPG’s which don’t greatly suffer from this problem during the intervening years. I’m not absolutely dead set against forced party configurations, but I think they should be used briefly and sparingly only when absolutely required by the narrative.

And I LIKE when it’s required by the narrative. I just assumed it was the case with XIII. But we’ll see. The buzz (or lack thereof) doesn’t hasn’t got me down. I’m prepared to love or hate it, I’m just excited to find out for myself.

I also assumed it was the case, but wasn’t prepared for it to be consistently the case for the first 30 hours of the game!