hay I heard u lyk final fantasy

sephiroth

Another one that didn't quite make it in the banner.

Ba-hahahahaha. Oh Ethos, you reacted just as I hoped you would.

It’s funny, though, I almost included that exact Zidane image as part of the banner. And then I didn’t, because it didn’t look right. I thought about throwing another FFIX character in there, but then I realized it would be more hilarious not to.

Anyway, welcome to The Final Fantasy Week! Like Ethos said, this week is about taking a step back, forgiving Final Fantasy XIII for all of its many transgressions, and reminiscing over one of the most beloved videogame series of all time.

And, what better way to do that than to have yet another Award Week! Starting today, Ethos and I will be giving away awards to specific Final Fantasy games for what they do best. Flamebait should be abundant, and, in fact, expected. When you disagree with us, be sure to let us have it. We enjoy the pain.

The awards will be rolled out, one day at a time, as follows:

MONDAY – Best Battle System

TUESDAY – Best Art Direction

WEDNESDAY – Best Cast

THURSDAY – Best Music

FRIDAY – Best Storyline

SATURDAY – Best Game

So, place your bets and GET EXCITED. Look for our Best Battle System awards in a matter of hours.

Tags:

10 Responses to “hay I heard u lyk final fantasy”

I’m just going to pretend that the FF series finished with the twelfth instalment, and until further notice is ended. Great series wasn’t it?

Bah-ha. Although the post game of FFXIII is really amazing. If the whole…y’know…main 60 hour part of the game was cut out, it’d be spectacular! I’m having WAY more fun doing all the ci’eth stone missions on Pulse in the post-game than I ever did during the game.

@Ethos: I know! I was in chapter 11 for over 20 hours total. If that’s what the end game’s like, but with a fully opened up sphere grid, I’m really looking forward to it!

Oh, and I can’t help but notice no category for character advancement system. Is that filed under “battle system”?

Also, the more I think about it, the more I’m really looking forward to the FFIX release on PSN. I really didn’t give that game a fair shot, expecting it to be like VII and VIII.

It was much better than VIII, though VIII still has certain charms if you can look past the game’s systems.

@Darth – Yup! I recommend just powering through the game then going back to Pulse, then you’ll have the full Crystarium system at your disposal, and you can re-fight the final boss for the 5 star gold trophy at any time.

And yeah, see I had an advantage with FF9 not throwing me for a loop because I had only played half of FFVII at that point, so I had no expectations, although I did adore VII.

@SN – I actually agree about VIII. Although I think it’s a weak soundtrack overall, I think there are some incredibly strong tracks, and if it wasn’t for the enemies leveling up with you, I’d probably enjoy the game a lot more than I do.

@Ethos: The enemies leveling up is the best part! What other game can you get to the final dungeon at level 15! I loved those “gain 1 extra str/dex/mag/spr/wev point per level” stats. Made my characters beastly without even relying on junctions! More exclamation points!!!

Oh, but back to the point, yes…in discussing in the comments, I agree. I don’t believe battle system should include all that menu stuff. We have a busy week, but maybe we’ll add an award… Riddles?

@Ethos- I couldn’t agree more, the VIII OST had about 10 really amazing thematic tracks, but the rest was fairly week. Also you should only ever have had to draw a spell once, stocking up on spells was just ridiculous, and not enjoyable at all.

I just realized how completely and utterly timely this theme week is going to be for me. I’m currently playing THREE FF games: FFXIII, some friends and I are trying out FFXI’s free trial, and I just picked up FFVII: Crisis Core this morning to try to beat the uberboss. Probably NONE of that will come into play, but I just thought I’d share!