Hey! Look! Listen! #55

There’s a lot of stuff in my RSS reader today. Way too much for me to process right now, in fact; though I’ll do my best to touch on the more relevant news items.

Anyway, ah. Welcome to another edition of Hey! Look! Listen! I’m your host Oliver “Riddles” Motok, and there WILL be a happy ending this time!

Ahem. So. Let’s get to it.

RUMOR: Sony to Reveal “PSN+” at E3?

Okay, I like the sound of this. If it’s true, Sony has the right idea about premium online services, unlike Microsoft.

According to one of Joystiq’s sources, Sony is prepping to reveal a service called “PSN+” at their 2010 E3 Media Briefing. The rumored benefits of a PSN+ subscriber are as follows:

-Free access to a “rotating list” of PSP Minis and PSone classics. That’s pretty damn sweet.

-”Exclusive in-game DLC. Eh, that’s something I suppose.

-”First Hour” demo access to full retail titles. Unfortunately, to access the hour demo, you have to download the full game file. Still, you don’t pay unless you choose to purchase full access.

-Free “PlayStation Protection Plan” access. Yeah, that’s pretty nice.

-Cross-game voice chat. Ehh… well, I suppose that’ll excite other people.

-Cloud-based game saves. Meaning… you could access them anywhere, I suppose? Sweet.

-Some kinda auto-patching system.

All that extra goodness for PSN+ subscribers. However, online play will remain available to everyone. That’s the big difference between PSN+ and Xbox Live.

It’s rumored that the price would be in the range of $9.99 per month. Seems a bit high, though – Sony must know that it’s a bit pretentious price their service the same as Netflix. In any case, this is currently just a rumor. Frankly, though, I hope it’s true. It might encourage Microsoft to follow suit.

(Joystiq via Gizmodo)

Speaking of PSN: Modern Warfare 2 Doling Double XP This Weekend

That’s right! See, there’s this American holiday called Memorial Day that takes place this Monday the 31st. It’s a day that honors those who died in service of our military, and it’s most often celebrated with wings and beer. But me? Well, I’ll be MW2ing it up the entiiiire weekend. And I’ll have beer. And hell, maybe I’ll pick up some wings. Sounds like a damn fine weekend to me. Except for the part where I’ll suck at Modern Warfare 2 because I haven’t played it in two months. (VG247)

Insomniac Games Signs Deal with EA Partners

While I have no real experience with Insomniac Games’ work (never played Resistance, never played Ratchet and Clank) this is still an interesting bit of news; Insomniac Games has only ever made games for Sony platforms. But now, in wake of a deal with EA Partners, they’re working on a game for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The days of platform loyalty really are dead. And no, I don’t necessarily view that as a bad thing. I’m just stating an increasingly apparent fact.

Anyway. Insomniac Games will continue to work with Sony, so don’t fret, Resistance 3 is still in the works. Absolutely no details were offered on what kind of game they’re developing for EA, or when it will be released. If you want the full story, check out VG247’s interview with Insomniac’s Ted Price.

Mass Effect is Being Made Into a Movie

Yeah… I suppose it was just a matter of time.

Legendary Pictures, the studio behind films such as The Dark Knight and 300, have reportedly snapped up the film rights to Mass Effect. BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will serve as executive producers, along with series producer Casey Hudson. I Am Legend screenwriter Mark Protosevich is supposedly interest in working on the film, and it will be produced by Avi and Ari Arad, as well as Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni.

Sound great, right? Meh. Not to me. The Mass Effect franchise represents a narrative experience that can only be achieved through an interactive media like a videogame. To make it into a film would be to cheapen it. It just wouldn’t be Mass Effect as Mass Effect was meant to be experienced. (VG247)

QUICKIES:

Ubisoft Toronto Working on New Splinter Cell Game - Yay, Toronto! That’s where Ethos lives!

RUMOR: Killzone 3 Coming May 2011, Features 4-Player Co-op - Okay. I mean, again, I really don’t care much about Killzone. But for those of you who do, have some rumor stew!

Alright. Well, that’s it. We’re done. Goodbye now!

Tags: , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Hey! Look! Listen! #55”

-Exclusive DLC is the worst. The rest of it sounds great, and I agree with you that I hope it’s real. A LOT of people care about cross-game voice chat.

-PSN is going double XP again? It just did for the release of the map-pack. Alright.

-Boo to Mass Effect movie.

-There’s an Ubisoft Toronto?

I like that, if the rumors are to be believed, PSN+ is adding features as opposed to charging for stuff that used to be free. To me the thing that jumps out the most is the “cloud based saves.” Am I the only one that thinks that’s mind-blowingly awesome? I’ve been waiting for Steam to do that for years now! It would be especially fantastic if the service would work for PS1 memory cards so I could seamlessly move between playing a PS1 game on the PSP to the PS3 without having to bother transferring the save! Maybe I’m expecting too much, but that feature right there would be fantastic!

That being said, I’m still not sure if it would be worth $10/month. That price seems a bit steep.

- Why boo Mass Effect movie? It’ll almost definitely suck (it is, after all, a video game movie), but it’s not like that’ll make the games any less awesome. I guess I say go ahead and make the movie on the long shot chance that they make it right, since if they don’t, there’ll just be one more movie I don’t go see.

BOOOOO! DO NOT WANT MASS EFFECT MOVIE! D:

@SN – Yup. Agreed.

@Darth – How’d I miss cloud-based saves?! That IS awesome! It would be SO great for me! For so many reasons! I use two PS3s. My personal one in my room, and the one in the living room with the massive fucking TV. And it’s a bitch for games that lock their saves. It’s MUCH easier play 360 games on that system, and I don’t use that system!
    That’s fucking awesome.

@Ethos: Seeing how Valve promised that feature back around the time I graduated, I’ll laugh myself silly if Sony ends up delivering on it first.

-SONY’s service isn’t something that I would use personally, but it does sound rather useful. Like premium online done right *looks at M$*.

7. evilpaul says:

A “rotating list” sounds problematic. Depending on how it’s done and what games are available, a lot of games aren’t practical to play if you only have access for a limited amount of time (RPGs, etc).

“Exclusive DLC”…are we going to be able to play games as they were 15 years from now? Seriously. I realize DLC is mostly just corporate-speak for “nickel and dime the fuck out of gamers”, but is it going to create an “MMO after the servers shutdown” type situation for current gen titles? (I’ll go and chase the kids off my lawn now.)

I think rotating list means that you can download the ones in rotation for free for a certain amount of time, and they are yours forever, not that you can only play them for a select amount of time.

@Ethos/EP: I hope Ethos’ interpretation is correct, otherwise I’d have a lot of 1/2 finished PS1 RPG saves lying around and no way to play them :f.

10. StormofSwords says:

Why in the world are so many people convinced that Mass Effect has an amazing story? It is the quintessential space saga shoot-em-up alien sex explosions game.

It had really fun RPG elements, and great scripting, but that doesn’t make the story epic.

@SoS – Who of us said Mass Effect has an amazing story? Plus, who cares? All that matters is a well TOLD story, and Mass Effect nails that.

Agreed, IMO the overarching story is the least important aspect of a games narrative presentation, the most important aspects being character chemistry, unique and consistent personalities, correct English expression, and fleshed out locations (in short, everything that FFXIII fails at).