The Dust Has Settled: Day 3 – Ethos

Hey guys, another long day for me and another absentee day for Riddles on the most important week of the year for gaming. I’m just going to continue to drill that point home until he shows up.

Also, because it’s a special week, the regular features are being pushed unless Riddles decides to do an E3 version of Hey! Look! Listen! Yes, it’s been a while since Scatter Storming, but suck it up. Distance makes the heart grow fungus or however it goes.

Anyway, because of said long day and because of no big conferences, it’s harder to line up my thoughts, but here goes.

Gimme

Damn You 3DS!! -
Remakes and re-imaginings really shouldn’t be getting me this excited, but goddamn it, they are. Hell, I’m even hyped for Animal Crossing, and that game hasn’t changed in a billion years! It’s been so long since a new console of any sort came out, I forgot the deep anticipation it can bring. Oh well, at least FFIX just came out on the PSN, so I’ve got that on my PSP to distract me.

Miyamoto and Aonuma say things -
See? Losing steam. Miyamoto held his little post-conference conference thing, but the only interesting thing to come out of it was when he almost confirmed orchestration in Zelda until Aonuma later said that Miyamoto could have been talking out of his ass. Fun! Speaking of Aonuma, IGN has an interview with him that doesn’t really reveal much, but is an interesting and pretty candid read. Worth it if you care at all about Zelda. Speaking of, he talks about why the art style for Skyward Sword sparked my optimism for the title. He mentioned that they always come up with the art style after the gameplay direction has been set in stone. He also mentioned that super-realism doesn’t allow them to have as many quirky elements that Zelda is known for. Hence my guess that the more personality-filled art style will reflect a more personality-filled game. Because Twilight Princess was fun, controlled well, and had a vapid game world.

That’s all I got, I need to sleep. Let’s start taking bets on when you all think we’ll see Riddles again. I’m thinking July. Any takers?

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “The Dust Has Settled: Day 3 – Ethos”

My heart is fungus.

Do you think E3 is still the most important gaming event? Over the last couple of years, I think it’s been upstaged by other events. E3 is still clearly focused on pleasuring the media, and I’m not that interested in reading about how insiders behind closed doors feel about a 20 minute demo of a sub-alpha build of a game not coming out soon. I’m down with E3 getting “most important event” props out of tradition or nostalgia, but do you really think it’s #1 nowadays?

Lately, I’ve found PAX to be a much more interesting event to read about, and gaming companies seem to be putting more effort into giving gamers good news there than they do with E3. Being closer to the overloaded holiday season helps it, and I enjoy reading people’s impressions of nearly finished games and then seriously thinking about which ones to keep an eye on, which to pre-order, etc.

Well Nintendo’s conference was pretty explosive, the rest of the show was fairly mediocre though …

4. Constipated_Cow says:

Nintendo’s conference was explosive if you like handheld gaming.

@Glenn – Yeah, I’m mostly with you, although I think E3’s picking up steam again after its dip.

@Cow – And all the Wii games that you didn’t care about. Kirby, Donkey Kong, Epic Micky. Great stuff. Also, some people care about Goldeneye. I don’t, but it’s a big deal to many.

Goldeneye isn’t a proper remake, I don’t see why anyone would care …

What’s your definition of proper? It seems like they’re keeping the spirit of the original while not just rehashing. But again, didn’t really care for the original and don’t really care about this remake. That’s just the impression I get.

1:1, this looks like your typical crappy Activision Bond game.

“Well, if I’ve told you once I’ve told you a thousand times; don’t base strong opinions on unrepresentative bullshit.”

The hands-on I’ve read have been largely positive, and really only hesitant when recognizing their own fanboyish devotion to the original. (IGN, 1up, Kotaku).

Oh, right, IT’S NEW!!! :)

Bah-ha! I can’t win with you! I was scolded for having a negative outlook on Epic Mickey, and now for recounting the positive opinions of others. From now on I will be perpetually neutral! :D

Fence sitter!