Scatter Storming. Issue #036

Here we go, I’m on a decent roll. A little hungry and I have more caffeine in my system than food, but a promise is a promise, so here is post 2 of 3!

What do you think of the new “Gaming Rambles” part of the Scatter Storming logo, by the way? I’m pretty much already completely sold on it. But let’s talk games.

A Crack in Time Wastes Nine -
I don’t know what possessed me to pick up Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. I had played a bit of Tools of Destruction and while I had some fun, it didn’t entice me to the series in the least. Still, I saw a used copy, and went for it.

It turns out that the game is quite fun and really addictive. I realize I’m about 8 years late to the party, but the game really keeps things fresh by consistently giving access to new – and usually increasingly bizarre – weapons that all have unique and useful attributes. Typically I’m the guy who finds one weapon and sticks with it, but everything is so much fun, that I’m really trying everything out and keeping things fresh.

Not just that, but the game has a good balance of main and side missions that allow for some solid pacing and plenty of distractions. Visually, it’s vibrant and detailed, and the load times are pleasantly hidden when traversing the universe and landing on the mini-planets.

Not just that, but it looks to be the first game that I’ll Platinum. I know the Trophy race with Abe80 is basically off now, but I’d be kicking his ass!

Given all that, however, there are still a few weird control quirks, and it’s generally a little easy (I’m playing on Hard). Also, it’s basically just like the other 98732 titles from what I hear. Although, like I mentioned, I’m enjoying this a great deal more than Tools of Destruction.

So A Crack in Time was a good decision, but my time at the game store yielded some not-so-great decisions.

Gorgeous.

Gorgeous.

Yup, I “upgraded” to PS3 -
Shut up. My 360 is basically my Mass Effect/Rock Band machine now – excepting some XBLA titles – and I regret buying some games for the system instead of my PS3. So I sold the 2008 Prince of Persia and Eternal Sonata to get the PS3 versions. Although there are notable issues with the 2008 PoP, I think Riddles gives it too hard of a time. I think it is stunning visually, and is actually really fun and quite beautiful after the lands are healed. Whenever I’d crave playing it again, however, I just wouldn’t because that would mean turning on my 360, letting it warm up, and hoping it wouldn’t crash. It’s really not that bad, but I like having everything on my system of choice unless there is a title like Mass Effect.

Eternal Sonata, however, is a bit more difficult to defend.

The characters are annoying as fuck, the story takes itself too seriously, and the gameplay is simplistic. Still, I don’t hate it like some. I think it’s another great looking game, and I’m seriously missing a RPG to fall asleep playing. FFXIII is certainly not that, and Star Ocean’s battle system takes too much skill. Also, the PS3 version of ES has more content and an additional character, so I suppose it’s the definitive version. Also, it was cheap (so was PoP).

Anyway, there’s that. Let’s move on to make fun of Riddles to distract from my idiotic tendencies.

Mono shmono -
Dear Riddles, you didn’t have a single Chai during one of Riddlethos’ greatest weeks, and now – when you’re “too sick” to post anything – you haven’t had an iced latte either. I’ve had three! And I’m just as broke as you, if not more! Whateva! I didn’t make fun of you during your sabbatical, so I’m bringing it back!

Well that’s all I’ve got. If you’re wondering, I haven’t used that exact picture in a Scatter Storming before, but I have used one from the same series. NOW YOU KNOW!

Iced Latte Count: 3

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Scatter Storming. Issue #036”

Eternal Sonata used to be my worst JRPG ever, taking that mantle from Legend of Dragoon, before losing it to FFXIII which now reigns supreme over all shittyness throughout space and time.

Meh, I stand by my 6.5 for FFXIII, and there are worse JRPGs than that that I’ve played. That Lunar game for DS. MAN, that was a pile of shit.

I’ve avoided that one, though I doubt I’d hate it worse than FFXIII.

That may be so. However, if you played them both having no previous experience with either series, I can almost guarantee that you’d hate Lunar: Dragon Song a lot more. Oh man is it ever bad.

I doubt it, XIII was so limited and constricted in its game design. If Dragon Song offered a design more diverse than running forward in a straight line, than I have to assume that I’d prefer it even despite its broken battle system.

It was broken in more ways than the battle system. It was near unplayable. FFXIII made terrible design choices, but the mechanics functioned and it was playable from a literal perspective. It was a case of bad ideas executed well. Dragon Song was built on bad decisions that were also executed poorly.

XIII’s poor ideas were executed well, but that matters not a whit to me. If Dragon Song is less stunted, then I prefer it by default.

-That’s just how I roll.

Fair ’nuff!

10. Riddles says:

I don’t think I’m too hard on the 2008 PoP. It IS fun and pretty. But that’s about as deep as any compliments for it can go.

When compared to the original trilogy, the combat and platforming mechanics are Prince of Persia for Dummies.

(Excepting the combat in Sands of Time, of course. That shit was pretty shallow).

The PoP platforming was great, but IMO the game relied way too heavily on it, and after a little while I lost interest. I like my games to be diverse rather than one track. It really needed proper combat, some tricky brainteasers and to have you on solid ground for more than two seconds at a time.

@Riddles – The combat was heading in the right direction. I liked the lack of focus on it, and the one-on-one idea. I also liked the rhythm based combat as opposed to button mashing. It needed a lot of work, sure, but it was the right direction.

Obviously the platforming is not nearly as good as the SoT trilogy, but I still think you sell it short. Just because you didn’t like collecting light seeds doesn’t mean that the platforming didn’t get more interesting and challenging at that point.

13. Riddles says:

That’s because it… doesn’t. It’s a different objective, the platforming remains the same.

And no, the combat was not a step in the right direction after the combat introduced in Warrior Within/Two Thrones. It may have been marginally better than SoT’s shallow stuff, but that ain’t saying much.

PoP 2008 had some of the least engaging combat that I’ve ever seen in a game …

You and your negative superlatives, SN.

@Riddles – Granted, I haven’t played WW/TT, so they could easily (and probably do) blow 2008’s combat out of the water (I never said it was great, just a direction with potential). But it was way better than marginal when compared to Sands of Time. Sands of Time is repetitive, and annoying as shit at times. 2008 had satisfying combos and a fresh take as opposed to button mashing. Again, I think it needed a ton of work, but you continue to sell it short.

And it did get more interesting and challenging. A different objective can do that. You had to be more creative with better timing and coordination to get some of those seeds. The platforming did not remain the same even with the same controls.