Some Semblance of Order and Also: A List!

Riddles was right, he and I talk a lot about TV. You can witness some of my own indignant, stubborn opinions in the comments for the post below this one. This will not be the last TV Week not only on account of this being a short week, but on account of my attention being elsewhere. I’ve been playing Metroid: Other M all week and feel like I’m close to being finished now, but I need to blitz to make sure you all get a full review by tomorrow. Not only that, but my girlfriend is finally moving to Toronto early next week and I’m scrambling so that she won’t realize that she’s dating a swamp creature living in a pigsty.

So to offset my absence, I’m going to quickly list some shows that I have my eye on for the upcoming season in the order that they interest me.

Gloria gets Most Improved Character. Also: Al Bundy!

1. Modern Family

While nothing on TV has come close to the comedic and calculated perfection that was Arrested Development, Modern Family is definitely the best show on TV since. A large, nearly perfect cast sell subtle moments, genuine character growth and reactions, and more importantly, absolute comic gold. The second season is always very interesting for a show that comes so strongly out of the gate, and in this case, I’m actually a little worried. Unlike Community, which steadily got better, Modern Family was completely consistent, and after a long break, critical and commercial success, and 14 Emmy nominations, I have some fear that the pressure might catch up to them and we might see a stumble. Fingers crossed, though.

2. Community

This was a show that I always wanted to love because of Donald Glover, but wasn’t completely sold on at first. About midway through, however, Community finally found its groove and began to make some really funny television. A lot of the writing is heavily based on pop culture references, so it tends not to be as clever as 30Rock or Modern Family, but its absurdity and endearing characters has made me a loyal fan and I expect the 2nd season to be far better than the first.

3. Mr. Sunshine

This is the only show on my list that hasn’t actually aired any episodes yet. Matthew Perry’s highly sought-after mid-season replacement is a single camera comedy about a 40-year old dude’s midlife crisis. As a Chandler fan, I’m interested in seeing how this ends up.

Hopefully the son character is around just as often in season 2

4. Cougar Town

Speaking of Friends, former castmate Courteney Cox had her own single-camera comedy launch last year to decent success. Which makes sense to me because it’s a decent show. A lot of people are – justifiably – turned off by the name, which is a shame because it’s a misleading title. Like Bill Lawrence’s last show, Scrubs, Cougar Town is more about character and silliness than it is about superb writing and intellect flexing. However, while I quite enjoy it, the show definitely doesn’t have the special place in my heart that Scrubs has. I’m just interested to see where the show goes from here, because unlike Modern Family, Cougar Town’s first season actually felt like a bit of a prelude to a long-running series.

5. Parks and Recreation

I’m surprised that this even made this list, but when I stop to think about it, it deserves the spot. I have not seen any of the first season, and only half the of the second (which I hear is way better anyway), but I found myself more and more endeared to it every time I watched. Not much else to say here, but that I enjoy watching a (not as smart) version of The Office that doesn’t have the same level of incredible awkwardness.

The Castaways

Like Riddles and I have talked at great length about on AIM, I’m sorta off The Office bandwagon now. I was a massive fan, but I feel like it has gone noticeably and drastically downhill and Season 6 barely held my attention. I’ll need to hear a lot of good things about Steve Carrell’s final season for me to care. 30Rock is another show that I really like, but it just seems to exist in the background for me now. I’m not really interested in it, but I haven’t become disillusioned like I have with The Office. I will watch and likely enjoy it, but I’m not doing jumping jacks for it and it doesn’t actively excite me.

Back to Metroid: Other M!

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Some Semblance of Order and Also: A List!”

1. ConstipatedCow says:

Stop being such an asshole and review Metroid Other M.

I don’t give a fuck about this bullshit asshole, all I care about is Other M.

Grow a pair you coward. I hope you get hit by a bus.

Fucking jerk.

Half of these shows I’ve never even heard of, the other half are perfectly dreadful …

No wonder you think Arrested Development is a masterpiece, held against this low bar it is likely almost tolerable.

Well I did say that none of these come close. And you’re the only person I’ve ever met who has seen Arrested Development and who isn’t a complete uneducated brainless dolt who doesn’t agree that it’s a masterpiece. I am absolutely baffled by your opinion of it more than anything you’ve ever said ever before.

Hmmm, apparently I should check out Cougar Town and Parks and Rec, because other than those, I’m pretty much beat-for-beat in agreement with Ethos on everything (except I would have put Always Sunny on the list). I’ve seen the cold opens for Parks and Rec, since it’s on after Community, and they’ve always been enjoyable, but I’ve never gotten around to watching the show proper. Also, I stopped watching The Office at the end of season 4, and it seems like it was a good move.

@SN: It’s not his fault you live all the way out on a near-deserted island :D! Can’t say I’m really surprised, though, a lot of these shows look like generic sitcom filler on the surface, and I could completely understand how they’d blend in with all the other crap on TV when looking at them from a distance. Also, I think Community is criminally under-promoted. The only reason I know about it is because I watch The Soup (they have the same star).

I haven’t been able to get into any sitcoms for a long time now. Just Shoot Me was the last sitcom to make me laugh so often, I would intentionally watch it rather than just catch it channel surfing. Desperate Housewives was the last sitcom-ish show I watched every week, and it quickly lost my interest during the second season.

What I am I missing by avoiding every comedy show that all my “smart” friends seem to love? I’m smart. I like laughing. Why don’t these recent shows pull me in? Is it one of those things where you have to watch several episodes before you get it? The Office felt that way to me. I tried it a few times, and ya it made me laugh some, but I have a high laughs-per-minute quota or a comedy won’t hold my attention. Tosh.O is fantastic. Community? Mostly boring with a chuckle here and there. Futurama is hilarious. Parks and Rec? See also: Community.

Maybe I just need to accept that as intelligent as I am, only comedies for dumb people make me laugh.

“you’re the only person I’ve ever met who has seen Arrested Development and who isn’t a complete uneducated brainless dolt who doesn’t agree that it’s a masterpiece.”

TALK TO LUSIPURR!

-Seems to me that you only enjoy television shows if they are populated by characters as neurotic as yourself, and if it checks that box then you’re none too discerning about any other qualitative measure. I prefer elegant & witty or outright offensive as opposed to hip & edgy comi-drama/sit-coms. It’s all just too flaccid.

-I’m of the firm opinion that Arrested Development is no masterpiece, but if you’ll recall my original comment wasn’t a qualitative judgement, I just said I hated it.

-Personal ticks are not funny in and of themselves.

@SN: Again, you confuse me with your adjectives. I don’t think there’s been a single show mentioned so far I’d consider “edgy”. But like I’ve said before, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it, I’d hardly try to tell you your opinion is wrong. On a somewhat related note (since you mentioned “outright offensive”), I saw Piranha 3D last night, and it was fantastic! Everything a B-movie should be!

@7th: Of the shows you’ve mentioned, I’ve only seen Futurama, but I’d hardly call that a comedy for dumb people, and I’ve heard good things about the rest of the stuff you mentioned. In all honesty, a lot of the shows Ethos and I seem to like (as SN pointed out) are more character-focused than plot-focused, and probably do take a few episodes to get into because of that, since a lot of the jokes aren’t funny unless you understand the character dynamics. I don’t think you’re missing anything, though. If you’ve got shows that entertain you, then you’re probably right on par with everybody else, you know? I’ve always said the fastest way to hate something is to force yourself to watch (or play or read or whatever) it even if you don’t enjoy it.

Also, on a pretty much unrelated note, 7th mentioned channel surfing, and I was just wondering how many people here channel surf. I can’t remember the last time I was just flipping through channels looking for something. Lately, every time I sit down at the TV, there’s a specific show I plan to watch, and I wondering if that was just me or not.

@SN – Well yes, but Lusipurr isn’t from this century, I wouldn’t expect him to like it. And I’m with Darth, your adjectives confuse me. Arrested Development is extremely witty. I wonder how much you’ve seen.

Anyhoo, more than anything, it’s great to have such a variety of opinion! I’m inspired by Darth’s diplomacy. Let’s stop the bashing and ask what shows you like, SN?

@Darth – When I worked a normal office schedule I would channel surf when I first got home and was too tired to play games, and then again during dinner since I usually eat in the living room.

Quick aside — DO NOT WATCH TABOO WHILE EATING! Taboo used to be on when I got home and ate a snack. I was all “Oh, a documentary on corpse harvesting and people who get off on piercing their bodies through large meat hooks and hanging from the ceiling? Sounds interesting.” And 10 minutes later I’d feel sick and want to barf up whatever it was I just ate.

Anyway, I would channel surf during dinner mostly, and that’s how I picked up some shows. I also tend to channel surf right when a show I was watching goes off, which is how I happened upon Tosh.O. Nowadays I alternate weeks between working from home and working in an office in Texas. On the home weeks I watch the shows I’ve recorded from the prior week, plus watch the new ones for that week too, so I don’t surf much. On the hotel weeks I usually channel surf all night in the hotel while playing DS/PSP games.

In short, yes, I channel surf still, but lately only when I’m eating or in a hotel.

I’ve seen it enough to know that it’s not something I care for.

Double the Fist, Newstopia, Colbert Report, That Mitchell and Webb Look, Family Guy, the Mighty Boosh, Review with Miles Barlow, the Chaser’s War on Everything, American Dad, Metalocalypse, Twin Peaks, Buffy, Firefly, the Big Bang Theory (the only sitcom I can ever remember enjoying), Drawn Together, Monty Python, Veronica Mars, the Gruen Transfer, the Graham Norton Show, QI and I quite enjoy the Daily Show but Stewart’s delivery often irks me, Lateline, the 7:30 Report, Insiders.

A like a great number of those shows. Have you seen the Peter Serafinowicz show? Great British comedy. Sadly only lasted 6 episodes.

No I haven’t heard of that one.

*(to the above add; Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place and the IT Crowd)

The IT Crowd is worth the laugh track. Big Bang Theory isn’t for me.

Hmmmmm … I don’t think I’d like Big Bang Theory if it wasn’t for the character of Sheldon.

My girlfriend and I actually had almost identical, independent experiences with BBT and IT Crowd. I watched the pilot episode of BBT and turned it off about 1/2 way through because I found it completely unwatchable. The laugh track was an issue, but it was mostly because the punch line of every joke seemed to be “Look how nerdy these guys are LOL!”. Also, if I’m remembering correctly, the plot of the episode made the main girl (who I think the audience was supposed to like) seem like a complete manipulative bitch. Steph had pretty much identical results with IT Crowd’s pilot.

Now, years later, I’ve heard from several people I generally agree with about television that the shows are awesome. Maybe I should go back and give them another shot (or in the case of IT Crowd, a first shot).

@SN: I’ve really got to finish The Mighty Boosh. After every episode, I don’t think there’s any way it can get any weirder, but then they always manage to top themselves in spectacular ways. I’ve watched most of season 2, but haven’t really had the time to finish it up.

@7th: I suppose I do kind of the same thing with dinner. Occasionally I don’t know exactly what I want to watch, so I fire up my PS3 and browse my media library. More often than not, I know what show I want to watch, but don’t have a specific episode in mind. I wish the PS3 has a “play random video from this folder” option.