Scatter Storming. Issue #044

It took until the horrible month of February, but Scatter Storming is back! Let’s see if I remember how to do this.

I Caved and Bought StarCraft II

Yup, it finally happened. Of all the eSport-worthy games I’ve watched Pogo play – CounterStrike, Warcraft 3, Modern Warfare 2, and StarCraft II – this is the one that got my attention enough to make me want to play it.

Yes, I’m aware that MW2 is too broken to be called an eSport-worthy game, but I’d seen too many hours of it to not count it.

Anyhoo, I’m really trying to watch my cash when it comes to games for the next little bit, but I have no regrets. Just means the 3DS will likely have to wait; it’s definitely the least urgent of the upcoming goodies.

The point is that I’m horrible, but the game is very fun. And very stressful. But it’s satisfying to feel like I’m getting better. Very slowly, sure, but mastering something is one of the finest and most satisfying experiences in life. I’ll keep you guys posted once I exit the practice league and enter the real online ladder.

Ethos’ Confession #3:

Despite being a Zelda fanboy, I have never completed a console Zelda game released prior to Ocarina of Time, and have never completed a handheld Zelda game released prior to Phantom Hourglass.

Modern Family: “Bixby’s Back” Review

Just saw the most recent Valentine’s Day-theme episode of Modern Family, so I thought I’d do a quickie review.

It started off quite weak. Some poor acting, contrived writing, and a non-compelling scenario. I’m glad I stuck it out though, all four stories wrapped up very nicely, and the episode finally started delivering a lot of laughs past the halfway point.

It’s great to see Mitch and Cam continue to drop the “let’s not offend each other” shtick and have some of the better moments. But once again, Gloria wins moment of the episode with her equally oblivious and poignant ridiculousness. Even if the “twist” was a little expected, the delivery was excellend.

I’m a little tired of Phil’s fool/stud/fool rotation. I think this season is missing more interactivity between the families. At least we got Manny with Haley.

The summation? Good save with this episode.

SCORE: 6.5/10

Ethos’ Confession #4:

I’ve never properly played a Resident Evil game.

Ethos’ Confession #5:

I never beat any optional bosses or got Knights of the Round in Final Fantasy VII. Hell, I didn’t even get Vincent.

New Trophy War

The Trophy war I had with Abe80 ages ago obviously died out. Plus, I’m destroying him. But a new challenger enters! Eric J., another former Lusipurr.comian and I have started a war of our own, and it seems to be a much more heated battle.

He best sums up how it started on his site, but now we’re in the midst of coming up with a prize for the winner and/or a punishment for the loser.

We toyed with the idea of the loser moving to the other’s location, but that ended when I came to terms with the fact that I would never move to Michigan. Also that he’d be getting the way better end of that deal. Toronto is a world class city. But we still want a significant prize/punishment. Ideas?

That’s it for now! It feels good to be back. This year is going to be fucking insane for us gamers. It is the calm before the storm.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Scatter Storming. Issue #044”

Knights of the Round is an awesome summon, but requires more fucking around than it’s worth. I acquired it several times as a teenager, but don’t think I could ever be arsed to again …

I didn’t get Yuffie in my first playthrough despite being thorough enough to get Vincent and Knights of the Round in the days before online FAQs. That also means I missed the ANNOYING part where she jacks your shit in Wutai. I got her in my 2nd playthrough and was not amused by that segment.

There’s no reason to play RE games unless you like survival horror games, which I don’t think you do. I have fond memories of being scared shitless while trying to finish RE2 in two days as a teenager. It and it alone gave me nightmates about zombies that lasted through high school and college. One of the most physically painful dreams I ever had involved me fighting zombies when one of them tore a jagged scrap of sheet metal off a car and slung it at me. It ripped open my torso, but I shot him in the head. When we finished killing them all, I laid on the curb bleeding and in agony for about 10 minutes waiting for an ambulance. When the medics came, they saw another less injured guy first, treated him, and left me. After a while longer passed, I finally bled out and died, and that woke me up. This is what you missed by not playing Resident Evil games.

Confession #3 is bad, though. Link to the Past aged well, and Link’s Awakening might be worth trying — I haven’t played LA since the 90s but I think it would still hold up. And you gotta try the first game in the series if you’re a fanboy… inexcusable! You aren’t a Zelda fanboy; you’re an OoT fanboy and you enjoyed the Zelda games that barely touched the OoT formula.

It was annoying as hell having your Materia stolen, but it was well worth it for the reprise of Don Corneo. There is also the matter of some reasonably fun challenges in the Wutai pagoda if you have access to Yuffie.

Resident Evil 4 makes for a massively fun action game even if you don’t get into horror games, but avoid the rest of them.

I really can’t believe how many genre defining AAA games you and Oliver have missed between you!

I said completed, Glenn! I’ve played LttP many, many times, just never been able to complete it. And you’re right, it definitely holds up. I’ve also played Zelda and Zelda 2, and the Oracle games and almost beat Minish Cap. The only one that I haven’t played in the least is Link’s Awakening.

And you can’t make that OoT comment just because you’re not as fond. The 3D Zelda games change the formula as much as the 2D ones have. If anything I’m a OoT, MM, and Spirit Tracks fanboy, and enjoyed the other two.

Also, yes, good reasons why I’ve never played RE games.

and @SN, I know. We were both pretty late gamers.

Whoops! My bad on the completed/played mishap. I thought it seemed off because I was sure you mentioned playing LttP before. Still, don’t you think calling yourself a fanboy of a series with a dozen games is overkill if you’re only a big fan of 3 entries? I don’t consider myself a Final Fantasy fanboy even though I loved FF4, 6, and 7, and strongly liked a few others. In Glennworld, “fanboy” implies things like day oneing every new entry, rabidly and often stupidly defending crappy games in the series, seriously believing that the series has no faults, and if it did have faults, no one should be bothered by them, etc. I don’t think you’re a Glennworld Zelda fanboy.

Oh, then you’re definitely right, I’m not a Glennworld Zelda fanboy. I have lots of complaints I could launch at the series and even at my favourite entries.

Yeah, I don’t think you can be a fanboy if you’re willing to admit that the object of your affection has things wrong with it. I tend to use it to describe folks like the ones over at RPGamer who still refuse to acknowledge that SE can put a foot wrong, or Star Wars fans who defend episodes I-III.

Fair enough. And I LOVE Episode I, but I don’t think I would ever argue that it’s a good movie.

Episodes I-III each have their indefensible aspects. I enjoyed them in theaters for the scenes they did well, but have had little desire to rewatch any of them over the last decade. The last I tried to watch all three in sequence, II broke me down and I couldn’t go any farther. The “sand is rough and course and irritating and it gets everywhere… not like here where its smooth” line as he caresses her skin makes me want to hurt everyone who had a hand in Episode II. Probably doesn’t help that a long time ago I had a really bad night while in the middle of watching Ep 2, and I don’t think my subconscious forgets that when I rewatch it now.

I have had to defend IV-VI before — I love those three. It can be rough because you’re defending movies that are rather old to people who claim not to understand how they were ever popular, and it quickly becomes an idiotic, circular argument so I drop it.

12. Eric J says:

Hey there, buddy! You’re gaining on me, but I feel confident in staying ahead.

That said, I’m down with vacating in Toronto as a possible punishment.

I like this Confessions series, by the way.